Thursday, March 6, 2014

Closet Essentials

One of my friends had a blog request last weekend. She requested that I offer some tips on closet organization, what to keep/what to throw out, wardrobe staples etc..

So, I got right to work figuring out how to convey what my technique is...and then I realized..I don't really have one! To be honest, I look at myself like a drag queen...meaning, I only get dressed up when I get paid to...meaning, I really only wear cute outfits when there is a meal and drinks involved!(#StayAtHomeMomProblems) When I know I have an event coming up, I usually start thinking about my outfit close to a month in advance. I usually start with shoes and work my way up. Once I wear said outfit, it doesn't really get worn again. This is why I shop so cheaply. There is no way I can spend over $50 on a dress that I will only wear once.

I hate to admit this, but my wardrobe organization is less than stellar. Because The Mister and I share a closet, things are kind of chaotic. Once we get a house and I can permanently put up some organization structures, I am sure things will be better.

#WardrobeWishes

With all of that being said, I still managed to gather some key wardrobe tips and essentials that I still follow among the chaos...

1. I always switch my winter and summer wardrobes at the beginning and end of seasons. I can not concentrate on putting outfits together in the summer if I have sweaters in my drawers still.

2. Speaking of seasonal wardrobes, I am always sure to leave some summer sundresses in my winter wardrobe to take advantage to pairing them with tights and a blazer.

3. Invest in good blazers. A blazer is the only article of clothing that I will spend over $30 on (besides shoes). I have a navy one, a black one, two white ones (summer and winter) and a zebra printed one.

4. BLACK FLEECE LINED TIGHTS. Enough said.

5. I am the opposite of a hoarder, I have absolutely no problem getting rid of things, clothes included. So, my rule of thumb is that if I haven't worn something (usually a dress) in 3 months, to the Salvation Army it goes.
 

6. Winter shoe essentials - Suede lace up black wedges, black combat boots, black pumps and a pair of oxfords (nude or black). The two pairs of shoes that I wore the most this winter were my black wedges and combat boots. I can not stress the importance of a good pair of combat boots to get you through the winter in a chic way.

So, I hope this helps. I think once summer rolls around I will be a bit more motivated to really overhaul my wardrobe and get some sort of organization situation happening. Until then, Happy Shopping!!

No comments :

Post a Comment