Thursday, March 13, 2014

Barre Babes

FitSugar.com
As I mentioned in previous blogs, my gym offers a plethora of small fitness classes. One of those classes is Barre. For those that don't know, this is the description of Barre on The Edge's website -

Barre-Our classes are designed to effectively strengthen, tone, and balance the entire body. We offer fat burning workouts that integrate the use of the ballet barre, light weights and various props. Students will focus on form and precision while performing small isometric movements as instructors emphasize basic alignment, foundation, and specific muscle actions. Each class includes several highly effective sequences of toning and resistance exercises with an emphasis on the core, arms, seat and thighs. Each strength section of this workout is followed by a stretching section to create long, lean muscle without bulk. These are challenging, no impact classes that require focus and precision for maximum results.
Disclaimer - You don't have to be en pointe to do Barre :)
The Edge first starting offering Barre in the beginning of 2013. I had tried it a handful of times, but during that time period, I just needed a bit more cardio in my week. Now that I am down to a weight that I feel is okay for my body, I am ready to incorporate more muscle lengthening and toning workouts into my 6 hours a week. With so much cardio and especially spin, you start to loose flexibility. Which is where Barre comes in. It is perfect for that.

My bestie and fellow Edge member, Olga, just started teaching Barre at my gym. I was so excited to take her class as she has an extensive dance background and I knew she would be amazing in this role. And guess what? SHE WAS! I am very sore today and even though it is not super cardio intensive, I still got my sweat on. Not to mention that Olga is from Kazakhstan so being taught Barre by someone with a gorgeous Russian accent is just so fitting, you will have to come see for yourself! During her class I really felt taken care of and I knew that if my form was incorrect that she would come by and correct me...Barre is all about form. This is one of the main reasons I love small fitness classes...You don't get lost in the shuffle. Someone is always there to correct you or help you.

If you are thinking about taking a Barre class, I would totally recommend it. It's super low impact but when you leave after the class you still feel as though you had a great workout. You can find The Edge's schedule here. Another great feature about The Edge is the there are no mirrors! Which is great for people like me who have not had a ballet lesson since the early 90s.

Come be a Barre Babe!

xoxo

No comments :

Post a Comment