Monday, March 3, 2014

Packing for Vacation

I put out a request on the Decidedly Delightful Facebook page for blog requests. I got one for packing for vacation. I used to be a chronic over packer. But, when we decided to go to Disney, and I knew we were going to be flying, I made sure that in the year and a half I had to plan, I got my packing act together. Here are my tips and tricks to avoid over packing --

1. Count out exactly how many outfits you will need and only bring those outfits - I know this sounds pretty basic but this was something that took me a long time to figure out. For Disney, I know I needed to pack two outfits per day. We were there for 8 nights and 9 days. For the two days of travel (there and back) I only had one outfit but every other day I had two. This also includes pajamas and bathing suits. Do not second guess yourself and start adding other articles of clothing in the suit case. Add what is on the list and add the exact number of outfits you need...no more, no less.

2. Figure out your outfits ahead of time - If anyone saw my "Disney Wardrobe List" they would have thought I was crazy. All of my outfits were planned out on paper down to the accessory and undies. I did this by using Pinterest, Polyvore and my own creative mind. This was a year and a half in the making. The best way to prevent over packing is to pack on paper first.



3. Consolidate pants/shorts/skirts - For our Disney vacay I only brought two pairs of shorts, 1 pair of leggings and one pair of jeans. I mostly wore sun dresses and switched between my two pairs of shorts and jeans for my other outfits. That was the easiest way for me to plan outfits...Pick out three bottoms and match different shirts/shoes/accessories to them.

#SamePantsDifferentOutfit

                                                                                               




4. Be realistic about what shoes you will wear - For me, shoes have always been my downfall when it comes to packing. For Disney, I brought one pair of wedges that I wore on the plane, black sandals, sneakers, and two pairs of Toms. I had to be realistic about the fact that I probably would not have been wearing heels to walk around WDW. When The Mister and I went on our honeymoon (WDW and Puerto Rico) I brought so many pairs of heels with me that I NEVER ended up wearing. This time around, I made sure that I matched every outfit to those three pairs (sandals & Toms) of shoes.



5. Ziploc bags are your friend - All over Disney vacation blogs there is a packing tip that I found the most useful out of all of the tips I came across. Put each and every outfit (down to the accessory) in its own Ziploc bag, label it and pull out one Ziploc bag/pre made outfit a day. This was my most important step to avoid over packing and I will never pack for a vacation again without it. It took the guess work out of "What am I wearing today?" I would simply just pull out an outfit for day or night and I had everything I needed in said bag. This is actually also a stylist tip. All those cool outfits that you see celebs wearing while they are at the grocery store? They were most likely put together by their stylist and sent to their house in separate outfit bags.
                             

What are some of your favorite packing tips?

No comments :

Post a Comment