Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Boutique Fitness


In 2013 I made the decision to lose my baby weight and get fit. I was never an athletic person so seeing how far I could physically take my body was huge accomplishment for me. Although one of the reasons I joined the gym was to lose the weight, I knew that this had to be a lifestyle change for me. Because of that reason I chose to not step on a scale at all during the year. I wanted to get strong and not let a number define how I felt. I knew weighing myself every day would only discourage me. To this day I couldn't even tell you how much I weigh. What I can tell you, though, is that I can do more push ups than I ever thought I would be able to. And I can also tell you that in 2013 I ran my first 5k.

None of this would have been possible had I not joined my small, local gym, The Edge Fitness For Women. My trainer (and owner of the gym), Natalina Earls posted this on the The Edge's Facebook page the other day about why small fitness studios are the way to go - 

Why boutique gyms are better than big corporate gyms:

Accountability--people notice when you don't show up or don't work to potential

Personal attention--Most corporate gyms give you a couple free "personal training" sessions. in reality, they give everyone the same workout while trying to sell them "real" training. Not me. I write every personal training client specific plans and my small group fitness clients can pick my brain about form, workout issues, weekly regiment, diet, running form etc. I want to help you with YOUR goals. 


Professional attention--the "certifications" many group instructors have at large gyms are simply one day or one weekend worth of education. At a small gym you can make sure your trainer has the education required to obtain a national certification through a reputable institution. Your body is on the line, so be sure your trainer is qualified and knows about alignment and form.


Keep it local--help sustain your local economy and meet people from your neighborhood

The accountability factor is really what kept me going. You get to know everyone you work out with on a very personal level so someone notices when you aren't there. Getting to know people in my neighborhood (specifically, other moms) was another big factor for me. The Mister and I have lived in the neighborhood for close to five years. And after I joined the gym I finally got to meet and make relationships with women and moms that are local to me. 

Joining a boutique gym changed my whole mindset towards working out. It is no longer a chore to go workout (crazy, I know). It's just simply part of my every day life. If you haven't been able to ever stick with a fitness regimen, boutique gyms make be your answer. 

No comments :

Post a Comment