Tuesday, October 28, 2014

5 Steps to Decoding YouTube Beauty Tutorials

Whenever someone asks me about anything makeup related I always refer them to the greatest invention for the beauty world - YouTube. When I suggest this I am usually met with trepidation as it's hard to pinpoint exactly where to start with all of information that's out there.

That's where this list comes in...hopefully after reading you will be on your way to navigating the YouTube beauty world.



1. Start in one place - Do you want to learn how to do a smokey eye? Or are you looking to learn how to perfect a highlighting and contouring routine? Pick a lane and stay there so as to not get overwhelmed. As you start perfecting things and watching more tutorials, you will start to gain the confidence you need to take on learning more techniques.



2. Eyelashes - Watch every and any video you can find on how to apply eyelashes..there are so many tips and tricks out there that you'll be a lash wiz in no time. Every guru has a different technique and different tips to share...take advantage of that knowledge!



3. Keywords - "High end" and "drugstore" are going to be your best keywords when searching for beauty tutorials. If the idea of walking in to a Sephora/Ulta scares the crap out of you, start small with drugstore products and work your way up.



4. "Beauty Dupes"- There are many high end products that you can find "drugstore dupes" for. Just a quick "(insert make up line here) drugstore dupe" Google search will usually yield you some results. For me, I usually spend more money on things like eye shadows (from high end lines) and less money on foundation. Which brings me to my next point...



5. Know what to spend money on - The thing I am always going to spend the most money on are brushes/beauty blenders, eye shadows and specialty products that you can't get at the drugstore (makeup setting spray,eye shadow primer etc..). IMO brushes are the most important part of a makeup application...Knowing how and what to use to apply your makeup will make your drugstore foundation look like it is a $25 airbrush foundation. Also, it's incredibly hard to find a matte eye shadow at the drugstore..so if I am looking for a glitter-less look, I will splurge and get myself a high end eye shadow. Building your makeup collection is all about balancing high end products with drugstore products.



Two of my favorite YouTube beauty guru's are Jaclyn Hill and Carli Bybel...take a look at their videos, you will not be disappointed!

Happy YouTube-ing!!

No comments :

Post a Comment